Thursday 5 August 2010

Chain Reaction 3.0 - First Impressions

So after half a game of Dog Soldiers here's what I think:

The system is fantastically fluid, which makes the games swift, despite all the goofs I made.

I love the way the reaction system "pulls you through the action". Once the opponents see each other, that encounter then resolves before anything else happens.

The system seems to produce excellent narrative in my head as I play (I can turn the dice and movement into re-world analogs very easily). The promise of an "immersion game" is all it claims.

Using piles of dice on the table allowed me to play the first 3 hours of the scenario (8pm - 10pm) over the course of a week in very broken time (sometimes a few minutes at a time). The system allowed me to be very sure where I was up to, so I didn't waste time getting my head around it.

I think I may have found something to wean the 4dkay lads at the school games club away from the awful IgoUgo whilst allowing them to keep their minis. On the last "Charity Games Day" I had a couple of lads fight only the first 3 turns of a 4000+ point per side battle over the full 7 hours. At one point one of them went to lunch while his opponent moved and fired, delegating armour saves to a friend with sandwiches.

It impressed me enough to buy the 5150 and Warrior Heroes which shows that giving away the vanilla system for free actually makes business sense.

I'm in awe of people who do full blow by blow Battle Reports (Bat Reps). It's taken me an age (broken time again) to write up just the first turn, but I hope to get to the others (probably with less detail) sometime soon.

    3 comments:

    1. Ah, so I found your opinion here. But it's more about CR3 than Dog Soldiers (which plays a bit different, as you surely noticed).

      Thanks for taking the time to write it all and sharing!

      --
      Mahon
      Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

      ReplyDelete
    2. Actually, I think it's the other way 'round. This is my first try with CR3.0 so I'm currently seeing it through the prism of Dog Soldiers right now - so this is perhaps more about Dog Soldiers than CR3.0.

      Apart from the movement, what would you say are the main differences?

      ReplyDelete
    3. my take would be that the DS is a 'chunk' of CR3. some rules are not needed for this scenario and not used in it. movement is simplified, but searching is added.

      special reaction tables are added for this game.

      CR3 is surely broader and deeper than DS, but DS is more focused on replaying the movie situation.

      --
      Mahon
      Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting

      ReplyDelete